To help combat stolen-identity tax fraud and protect you and your tax refund, many state revenue agencies including the NCDOR are requesting additional information. Below are NCDOR recommendations for the additional requested information:
- For individuals - if you have a driver's license or state-issued ID card, use the information on it to provide the additional information requested on your tax return. The NCDOR will not reject your return if you do not include the additional information, but strongly encourages you to provide it.
- For individuals and businesses - file early! Although filing early does not guarantee that your identity will not be stolen, it may help prevent an attempt at stolen-identity tax fraud (if you file before the thief attempts to file using your stolen identity).
If someone files or attempts to file fraudulently using your identity, processing of your return and refund (if any), may be delayed, no matter whether you file early, timely, or late.
Review Identity Theft for more information.
These tax types (schedules) are available for eFile:
- Individual income
- Corporate income and franchise
Taxpayers who request a refund, have a zero balance due, or owe tax, and who are North Carolina full-year residents, part-year residents, or nonresidents can eFile.
Take advantage of these options:
- One-stop shop with ability to file and pay state and/or federal together - current, amended, and prior years (up to two years prior to current tax year)
- Pay by bank draft (no convenience fee) when you eFile your return, or take advantage of payment scheduling options
- Tax due up until the due date
- Extension payments up to 6 months in advance
- Estimated payments up to 12 months in advance
- Faster, easier, more accurate than using paper forms
- Easy to follow, interview-type prompts
- Reduce paperwork, attach PDFs as necessary
- Reduce common math errors (software is programmed to help with math computations)
- Built-in software tools for help with deduction discovery and audit risk assessment
- Automatic confirmation when your tax forms and payments are received
- Direct deposit of your state tax refund – individuals only!
eFile software eligibility requirements and features vary by provider – be sure to select a product and/or tax professional that meets your filing needs.
For your convenience, we publish lists of NCDOR-approved eFile software providers and products. Review eFile for Free, eFile for a Fee, Corporate Income and Franchise, and Partnership to view the lists.
We update the lists as additional providers and products are approved, or to remove a provider or a product if at any time state or federal requirements are not met. The lists are available throughout the filing year, and accessible for prior year filing and paying needs.
Contact the eFile and Development Unit:
- Email - NCTaxEfile@ncdor.gov
- Call -1-877-308-9103 and choose options 2, 1, 2
- Fax - 919-715-6158
File and Pay - Individuals
File and Pay - Businesses
- eFile returns, payments
- Online returns, payments
File and Pay - eNC3
Pay a Bill or Notice
- File and Pay Taxes
- Find Tax FAQs
- Find Tax Information
- Pay a Bill or Notice
- Request an Installment Agreement
- Understand My Notice
- Collections – Past Due Taxes
- Periodic Review of Existing Rules
- Reports and Statistics
- Resolving Disputes
- Identity Theft
- Individual Income Tax Estimator
- Individual Income Tax Rates
- Sales and Use Tax Rates
- Taxpayer Advocate
- Taxpayer Self-Help