Payment Options for Individuals
Our online services accept payments by bank draft and credit or debit card.
How do I pay by bank draft?
Enter the following bank draft information, following the prompts in the payment application:
- Bank account number
- Bank routing number
- Account type (checking or savings)
- Amount of payment
- Date you want to make the payment
Pay with fee
To submit payment by credit or debit card (MasterCard or Visa), you will need to pay a convenience fee of $2 for every $100 increment of your tax payment. Examples:
- $2 - payment amounts of $.01 to $100
- $4 - payment amounts of $100.01 to $200
- $6 - payment amounts of $200.01 to $300
To pay by credit or debit card, you will need to provide the following:
- Credit or debit card number
- Expiration date
- Billing address with zip code (as it appears on your credit or debit card statement)
After you submit your payment information, you will see a payment confirmation page. Print the confirmation page (contains a confirmation number) and save it for your records.
Typically, transactions submitted before 5 p.m. EST are effective the following banking day. Scheduled payments are effective the banking day following the scheduled draft date. NCDOR will confirm your transaction by email within two business days of the date you submitted your payment information. Save the email for your records.
If you do not see the confirmation page or do not receive a confirmation email, call 1-877-308-9103 for assistance.
Using our online services, you can schedule the following types of bank draft payments:
- Tax due
- Payments with an extension of time to file and estimated income tax payments – schedule up to 60 days out
If you file early, you can also make smaller individual payments up until the due date.
If you use tax software (eFile), you can schedule the following types of bank draft payments:
- Tax due
- Payments with an extension of time to file – schedule up to 6 months out
- Estimated income tax payments – schedule up to 12 months out
Software features vary: be sure to select an eFile provider and product which meets your filing and paying needs.
If you decide to cancel a bank draft or a credit or debit transaction after you submit your payment, you will need to contact your financial institution. Canceling a transaction may cause you to be subject to penalties, interest, or fees imposed by NCDOR for non-payment or late payment of tax.
If you need to update your payment draft date, you must call us before 2 pm the day before the draft date. We cannot cancel a scheduled payment after 2 pm the day before the draft date.
To prevent unauthorized debits, some financial institutions offer a debit block service for some bank accounts. The debit block must be removed before an online payment transaction can take place. If you are unsure whether your bank account has a debit block, contact your financial institution.
If there is a debit block on your account:
- Provide your financial institution with the NCDOR company ID, 9044030460, so the block can be removed
- Once the block is removed, submit your payment
Phone assistance is available between 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). In December, phone assistance is available 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call 1-877-308-9103 and select option 1 for assistance with online file and pay services.
File and Pay - Individuals
File and Pay - Businesses
- eFile returns, payments
- Online returns, payments
File and Pay - eNC3
Pay a Bill or Notice
- File and Pay Taxes
- Find Tax FAQs
- Find Tax Information
- Pay a Bill or Notice
- Request an Installment Agreement
- Understand My Notice
- Collections – Past Due Taxes
- Periodic Review of Existing Rules
- Reports and Statistics
- Resolving Disputes
- Identity Theft
- Individual Income Tax Estimator
- Individual Income Tax Rates
- Sales and Use Taxes for Real Property Transactions and Services
- Sales and Use Tax Rates
- Taxpayer Advocate
- Taxpayer Self-Help