The Refund Process
Help us improve! Let us know if this page was useful to you.
- Use the Where’s My Refund application for an up-to-date report on the status of your refund. The information shown in the application is the same information our phone representatives have.
- Review the infographic to the right to learn about the refund process, common reasons refunds may be delayed, and filing tips for next year. (Click the image to view.)
- Still have questions? Read our FAQs.
Understanding the refund process
Common errors that may cause delays
- We found a math error in your return or have to make another adjustment. If our adjustment causes a change to your refund amount, you will receive a notice.
- You used more than one form type to complete your return. The form type is identified in the top left corner of your return. We will return your State tax return for you to complete using the correct form type before we can process your return.
- Your return was missing information or incomplete. Sometimes returns are missing information such as signatures, ID numbers, bank account information, W-2s, or 1099s. We will contact you to request this information so we can process your return.
How we’re protecting your refund
To protect your refund, we use numerous data sources and capabilities to detect fraud. We may contact you for more information before issuing your refund.
If you believe your refund was lost, stolen, or destroyed, please contact us.
Refund different than you expected?
We may have made an adjustment to your return that caused a change in your refund. You should receive a Notice of Adjustment explaining our change and your new refund amount. Review our Received a Notice page for more information about this notice.
File and Pay - Individuals
File and Pay - Businesses
- eFile returns, payments
- Online returns, payments
File and Pay - eNC3
Pay a Bill or Notice
- File and Pay Taxes
- Find Tax FAQs
- Find Tax Information
- Pay a Bill or Notice
- Request an Installment Agreement
- Understand My Notice
- Collections – Past Due Taxes
- Periodic Review of Existing Rules
- Repair, Maintenance & Installation Sales Tax
- Reports and Statistics
- Resolving Disputes
- Identity Theft
- Individual Income Tax Estimator
- Individual Income Tax Rates
- Sales and Use Tax Rates
- Taxpayer Advocate
- Taxpayer Self-Help