New Password Change Feature Available to NCID Users
Taxpayers who use the NCID secure login to file and pay their taxes will be able to reset their NCID password without calling for assistance with the new Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR) feature. Effective Sunday Aug. 7, the new feature will be available to taxpayers after their next password change.
Along with the SSPR, new requirements for passwords and security questions will be introduced to provide additional protection for taxpayer accounts. The self-service screens will also recognize access from mobile devices and adjust content accordingly.
Action Required During Your Next Password Change
To access the SSPR, a taxpayer must initiate an NCID password change. To complete the change, the taxpayer will create a new password that meets the new security requirements and select and answer five security questions. Information and assistance for the taxpayer will be displayed during this process. The taxpayer can use those security questions and answers to perform one password reset. The taxpayer will select five new questions after the first reset to use if he or she needs to reset a password again.
New Password Requirements
Effective Aug. 7, new NCID passwords must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum length 8 characters
- Passwords are case-sensitive
- Minimum number of non-alphanumeric characters: 1 (special characters like @, #, !, &, etc.)
- Minimum number of numeric characters: 1 (0-9)
- Minimum number of lowercase characters: 1 (a-z)
- Minimum number of uppercase characters: 1 (A-Z)
- Password minimum age: 3 days
In short, new passwords will need to be at least 8 characters long and contain at least one of each of the following:
- Uppercase character
- Lowercase character
- Non- alphanumeric (special) character
- Digit (0-9)
This change affects only your NCID password and ability to reset the password without calling a service desk. There are no changes to how you access the E-Business Center or file and pay your taxes.
If you have any questions about the SSPR or new password requirements, please contact the state Department of Information Technology service desk at (919) 754-6000 or 1-800-722-3946 or by email at ITS.email@example.com.
- File and Pay Taxes
- Find Tax FAQs
- Find Tax Information
- Pay a Bill or Notice
- Request an Installment Agreement
- Understand My Notice
- Collections – Past Due Taxes
- Periodic Review of Existing Rules
- Reports and Statistics
- Resolving Disputes
- Identity Theft
- Individual Income Tax Estimator
- Individual Income Tax Rates
- Sales and Use Taxes for Real Property Transactions and Services
- Sales and Use Tax Rates
- Taxpayer Advocate
- Taxpayer Self-Help