Notice of Intent to Assess
The Department has many different programs and initiatives to identify taxpayers who have failed to file tax returns, failed to pay taxes owed, underpaid their taxes and other situations in which taxes are owed.
If you agree with the notice, pay the total amount due. Payment options are listed on your notice, and in the section below.
If you do not agree with the notice:
- File a NC individual income tax return that reflects the correct amount of tax due, including penalties and interest.
- If you did file a return, provide a copy of the return and evidence that you paid any tax that was due.
- Explain why you were not required to file a return.
Action is required within 30 days of the date of the notice. This information can also be found on page 2 of the notice mailed to you.
You have three different payment methods to choose from.
- Pay online.
- Create a personalized voucher online to mail with your payment. Choose "Download Forms From Previous Years" from the yellow box, choose the correct tax year, and from the list of forms choose the D-400V personalized form. Fill in the requested information, print the form and mail along with your payment to: NC Department of Revenue, PO Box 25000, Raleigh, NC, 27640-0640. Using this voucher allows us to process your payment more accurately.
- Complete the payment voucher attached to the bottom of your notice and mail along with your payment to NC Department of Revenue, PO Box 25000, Raleigh, NC, 27640-0640.
You may contact the department through our toll-free lines if you have additional questions.
Look for the “Case ID” in the top right grid and call one of the following numbers.
IRTF – 1-877-919-1019, enter the project code 10013
IRMF – 1-877-919-1019, enter project code 10015
- File and Pay Taxes
- Find Tax FAQs
- Find Tax Information
- Pay a Bill or Notice
- Request an Installment Agreement
- Understand My Notice
- Collections – Past Due Taxes
- Periodic Review of Existing Rules
- Reports and Statistics
- Resolving Disputes
- Identity Theft
- Individual Income Tax Estimator
- Individual Income Tax Rates
- Sales and Use Tax Rates
- Taxpayer Advocate
- Taxpayer Self-Help