Online Business Registration
Income Tax Withholding, Sales and Use Tax, Certain Machinery and Equipment Tax and Other Taxes
What is the online business registration and why should you use it?
The Department's online business registration allows you to electronically register for an account ID number for income tax withholding, sales and use tax, certain machinery and equipment tax and other taxes instead of submitting Form NC-BR. All persons required to register for any of the taxes listed below can use the online business registration system to obtain their tax number. Using this system allows us to process your application more accurately and efficiently. For most applicants, the account ID number will be issued instantly.
What tax levies can you use the online business registration system to register to report and remit tax due?
- Income tax withholding.
- Sales and Use Taxes, excluding tax on:
- Spirituous Liquor.
- Piped Natural Gas.
- Aviation Gasoline and Jet Fuel.
- Dry-Cleaning Solvent.
- Motor vehicle lease and rental tax.
- Certain machinery and equipment tax.
What are the benefits?
- It is convenient – It is available 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.
- It is easy – The online screens are designed to walk you through the application using an interview process.
- It is free – Sending in a paper application and paying postage is not required.
- It is fast – Most applicants will receive their account ID number instantly. Others will receive their account ID numbers within ten business days.
- It is safe – The web site and the taxpayer’s data are secured with SSL (Secure Socket Layer) with at least 128-bit encryption.
- It is confirmed – You will receive a confirmation from the Department that your application has been received.
Am I required to mail any paper documentation after submitting my application?
Once your application is submitted online, it is not necessary to mail in a paper copy of the application form. We will contact you if additional information is required.
Is there a fee?
There is no fee to use the Department’s online business registration system.
What information do I need to submit my application?
- Your Social Security Number (SSN) or Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), and North Carolina Secretary of State Number (SOS), if applicable.
- Your business name, address, phone number.
- Partner or Responsible Person, if applicable (name, title, SSN, address).
- Details about your business (begin date, type of business, etc.).
See the Business Registration Checklist for detailed information.
How do I submit my application?
You will be prompted through a series of interview screens that will require you to provide information to complete the application. You will be provided a confirmation page that you should print and save for your records that will contain either a tracking or confirmation number.
How will I know the Department has received my application?
Once you submit your completed application, the system will provide you with a confirmation page. If the system is able to complete the registration process, a confirmation number and the issued account ID number will display on the page along with the name of your business. A notice that includes your account ID number will also be mailed to you within five business days.
If the system is unable to complete the registration process at the time of submission, a tracking number will display on the page. Your account ID number will be issued within ten business days and a notice that includes your account ID number will be mailed to you.
You should retain the confirmation or tracking number for your records until you receive your account ID number information by mail. These numbers will be helpful if you contact the Department with questions about your application.
Is my information safe?
Safety measures are in place to protect your information. No one can read your tax information while it is being electronically submitted. The web site and your data are secured with SSL (Secure Socket Layer) with at least 128-bit encryption.
Who can I contact for assistance?
For additional assistance, contact the Electronic Services Help Line Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm EST at 1-877-308-9103.
File and Pay - Individuals
File and Pay - Businesses
- eFile returns, payments
- Online returns, payments
File and Pay - eNC3
Pay a Bill or Notice
- File and Pay Taxes
- Find Tax FAQs
- Find Tax Information
- Pay a Bill or Notice
- Request an Installment Agreement
- Understand My Notice
- Collections – Past Due Taxes
- Periodic Review of Existing Rules
- Reports and Statistics
- Resolving Disputes
- Identity Theft
- Individual Income Tax Estimator
- Individual Income Tax Rates
- Sales and Use Tax Rates
- Taxpayer Advocate
- Taxpayer Self-Help